Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge At Home


1. Besides your very own house, describe a place where you feel most 'at home'? This sounds a little strange, and I wish Mr BC did not have kidney issues, but he does, and every one who we have contact with, at the dialysis clinic seems like family. Since the time we first had to visit, for the training, for the monthly blood tests and the check in with the doctors, nutritionist+, social worker and nurses, we have felt that this was a second home, and not just a medical facility. 

2. When did you last 'hit a home run' with something? Explain. I use panko crumbs to bake 'fried' chicken and 'fried' fish.  Mr BC eats a lot of both, but shouldn't eat fried foods, he loves it for dinner.

3. Tell us about something you love in your house or kitchen that is 'homemade'. I have a few crocheted and knitted afghans, that my mother, Mr BCs  mother and DD2 have made for us.  They are used a lot in the living room this time of year. I alway think of them as I cozy up with the covers.
4. 'A man's home is his castle'...which of the world's ten most captivating castles (according to The Travel Channel) would you most like to visit and why-


Mont Saint-Michel (France), 
This would be a wonderful visit.
Edinburgh Castle (Scotland), Neuschwanstein Castle (Germany), Glamis Castle (Scotland), Windsor Castle (England), Chateu de Chambord (France), Hampton Court Palace (England), Prague Castle (Prague), St. Michael's Mount (England), Leeds Castle (England), and Swallow's Nest 
Ukraine)
I have been to Windsor and Hampton Court Palace. Last September we visited England and since it was Mr BC's first trip, I took him back to Windsor Castle, we also saw Buckingham Palace for the first time and I believe that I prefer Windsor. I especially enjoyed Queen Mary's Doll house exhibit.
Henry II constructed the Round Tower and the original stone outer wall.
St George's Chapel, unfortunately was closed (Sunday) so Mr BC was unable to see Henry the 8th's tomb.  But we had seen a lot of those in Westminster Abbey.
This is Henry 8th crest over a gateway arch.

I visited Hampton Court on my previous visit, I loved this tour.  So much history!  This is the gate house entrance.
William and Mary demolished much of the Tudor palace and rebuilt the Palace in the Baroque Style. George 1 and George ll were the last monarchs to live in the palace.

5. What's a recent or upcoming plan or project that's required you do a little homework before getting started? Did the homework cause you to abandon your plan or adjust it in some way? Well our trip last year was a good example of doing my homework. I pretty much planned the trip myself.  We went with a tour group, but had several days to plan on our own.  We made some changes, as of course, I crammed too much in a short period of time. Too much to see, too little time. We research all of our travel plans, and then hope we get to do at least half of what we plan.
 
6. In your opinion, is homework an unnecessary evil or a valuable practice? Should schools be done with homework? Why or why not? I think that busy work homework, is not particularly effective.  I think that reading and book reports are a good introduction to future papers and essays. I think that each teacher in school assigning several hours of homework each day, without taking into account, other teacher's assignments, can be overwhelming to some students and families. I am glad I don't have to make the decisions.
  
7. Share a favorite memory of your childhood hometown. We live in a town in California, that had a Mission. While we were not catholic, there were all sorts of festivals and such that were a lot of fun. In 4th grade in CA, everyone studies missions, so there was a field trip in school as well, as a mission building project.
San Gabriel Mission
8. Insert your own random thought here.



8 comments :

  1. I think I jump rope like the elephant. It is easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about your hubby's dialysis clinic speaks well for the staff :)
    I love a nice afghan, handmade by someone special :)
    I DO wish someone would invent that special dryer...SOON!
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homework is a waste of time and I am the retired teacher. I did give about ten problems in math about three nights a week. I gave students credit for doing homework. I kept a record of not doing homework. But I never lowered a grade due to lack of homework. In my opinion, homework completion has more to do with the child's homelife. I also felt that if we used our time well during the day, there should not be that much need for homework. At the end of my career when they were testing the smithereens out of students, mine did OK. Frankly, I did not care what some politician dictated. Life is based on what you need not some grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elephant is cute. One of my ancestral surnames is Oliphant. That family shield features elephants. :) I also have ADCD...AD-anything, really. I am forever going down the bunny trail.

    I am sorry that your husband has to be on dialysis, but very glad that he is able to have it at a place that is good to you both. Prayers going up for the both of you.

    Have a blessed day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I love travel planning (any planning really) and I also over plan for the time spent in any one place. So much to see in the world, so little time to accomplish it! Have a great week.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate homework!!! There is very little data that shows it makes a bit of difference between assigning none vs. assigning mounds of it. All I want my students to do is READ! :)
    Now I want to go see some more castles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have crocheted stuff all over the house, I think to the annoyance of younger visitors. Touch on them, I like them. I remember the times Joe and I visited the hospital clinics and the friendships formed with doctors and nursing staff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not the biggest homework fan - especially now that I have a 7th grader! Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge today - better late than never! Have a great weekend! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete